Freyr Rigasson
Herra

PROFIELMessages : 93
RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :
Place of birth : Skagerrak

› jack of all trades Empty
PostSubject: › jack of all trades › jack of all trades EmptyTue Nov 14, 2017 5:55 pm

An axe would never be his weapon of choice, but his mentor thought it was important he could at least defend himself properly with all types of weapons. If he ever lost his own sword in battle, he could pick up a weapon from the ground and keep himself alive. Hopefully that wouldn’t happen, ever, but the older Viking was right. Teaching him to use different weapons would probably pay off one day. So now he was getting used to the way he had to swing an axe to actually deal some damage. The blade was relatively small, compared to a sword. He had to hold it in a certain way to cut the training dummy he was currently targeting. He also needed to pay attention to his shield. Even though this dummy wasn’t hitting him back, a living opponent would most certainly try to take him down.

When he was too out of breath, and his muscles were hurting too much to even keep his shield up, his mentor allowed him to call it a day. Panting heavily, the boy walked over to one of the wooden benches and sat down. He leaned his shield and axe against the side and then settled in on the bench a bit more. When he felt a bit better, he looked over at the side of the training yard where the real Vikings and Shield maiden were training. Hopefully he wouldn’t have to face one of those any time soon, because he would get his ass kicked so bad. He was looking if he could see his mother somewhere, but probably she would be in the Great Hall, taking care of business. But he could never be sure. Because he was so focused on looking for her, he didn’t notice someone approaching him from the other side of the yard.

&Yrsa

Back to top Go down

Yrsa Tyrsdóttir
Yrsa Tyrsdóttir
Shield maiden

PROFIELMessages : 81
RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

PostSubject: Re: › jack of all trades › jack of all trades EmptyWed Nov 15, 2017 2:08 am

Yrsa was training again, as usual. She thoroughly enjoyed fighting, especially when she was trying to challenge herself, or helping someone else challenge themselves. She tried to keep an eye on all the warriors-in-training, to see what they were good at and what they needed more help with. It was important to address skills that were lacking. Just because someone knew how to swing a sword, or land a punch, or fight against someone else of similar skill didn’t mean they’d survive in a real battle. And that’s what they were training for; Battle.

So when she saw the Earl’s son, Freyr, practicing with an axe, having noted recently that it wasn’t his preferred method of training, Yrsa had been impressed. Whether the praise belonged to the sixteen year old or his mentor, Yrsa wasn’t sure. But when she noticed him sitting alone on a bench after training that afternoon, she decided to approach him.

Hello,” she greeted when she was still a bit away, not wanting to startle him by suddenly appearing right beside him. “I’m Yrsa, I don’t think we’ve really spoken before.” She couldn’t recall if she’d ever helped him train directly before, but was fairly certain they’d never held a conversation. “I saw you were training, and wanted to offer to train together sometime, if you’d like.” It wouldn’t be a good idea to be too presumptuous with the Earl’s son, but if he wanted to be a skilled fighter, he needed to practice against skilled fighters. And Yrsa was a skilled fighter.
Back to top Go down

Freyr Rigasson
Freyr Rigasson
Herra

RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

PostSubject: Re: › jack of all trades › jack of all trades EmptyWed Nov 15, 2017 7:45 pm

When Rigas was away, the entire responsibility of taking care off the people from Skagerrak fell onto his mother’s shoulders. It was not like she couldn’t handle it though. She was a strong and fierce woman. A warrior, but also smart and respected by everyone. If they dared to disrespect her, she quickly changed their minds. He admired her for sure. He also tried to help out as much as possible, as he knew one day he would be the one in charge over this clan as well. One day he would have to take over the throne from his father, and then he would have to deal with the responsibilities as well. Probably by himself. He was both looking forward to and dreading the day that would happen. For now his mother was probably be doing a great job. The only part that made him sad about it, was that he could not spend as much time as he would like with her, as she had other things to worry about.

While he was caught up in his own thoughts, someone had decided to approach him. Luckily she was polite enough to give him a fair warning, instead of just popping up out of the blue right next to him. “Hello,” She said, and he turned his head to look at the person who was addressing him. “I’m Yrsa, I don’t think we’ve really spoken before.” She introduced herself. Freyr thought about it real quick and realised she was probably right. "I don't think so either. Nice to meet you, Yrsa. I'm Freyr", He said with a friendly smile. He could remember her vaguely, he had seen her in the Great Hall sometimes. If he remembered correctly, his mother did sometimes mention her. “I saw you were training, and wanted to offer to train together sometime, if you’d like.” She then proposed.

It took him by surprise, to be quite honest. He looked at her again, how her body was obviously trained for battle. How she carried herself, and her weapons. With ease, almost as if she was born to fight. He already felt uncomfortable thinking about how quickly she would be able to disarm him and beat him, even if it was just a training. ”I would be honoured, but, you know.. I don’t think I’m ready for that”, He said, and he hated the fact he was making excuses. Hopefully Yrsa wouldn’t take it personal, as it was he who was being too insecure.

Back to top Go down

Yrsa Tyrsdóttir
Yrsa Tyrsdóttir
Shield maiden

RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

PostSubject: Re: › jack of all trades › jack of all trades EmptyThu Nov 16, 2017 3:48 am

It was so refreshing when people used their manners. She smiled at his introduction, though it was hardly necessary. Of course she knew who he was, but she wasn’t about to mention that. Noticing the somewhat surprised look on his face, Yrsa wondered why it was there. Surely other warriors had offered to help him train in the past? And it hardly seemed like he’d be weird with her because she was a woman when his mother had also been a shield maiden? But she shrugged it off.

And then he said he’d be honored and her grin widened. But then he said he wasn’t ready for that and she was even more perplexed than she’d been before.

What’s that the whole point? He wasn’t ready to fight someone like her, and the only way to become ready to fight someone like her was to fight someone like her? But she wouldn’t push the issue. That wouldn’t help her ultimate goal which was to make sure the people who were important, like him and his mother, knew that she was dedicated and willing to help.

Oh, of course. That makes sense. But the offer stands, if you change your mind in the future. Or if you’re ever looking for tips or tricks or anything.” He seemed like nice, and Yrsa was glad they had men like him in their ranks. Her gaze slanted to a viking she could rather do without, but she wasn’t a normally negative person, and immediately smiled at Freyr once more. “It was nice to have a chance to speak to you, anyway,” she added, turning away to leave.

And then suddenly there was barking and coming from the direction behind Freyr and Yrsa immediately sighed heavily as she looked back to see her pair of unruly mutts headed in their direction. “I’m sorry,” she apologized ahead of time, but quickly enough the pair of puppies were dancing around her feet and sniffing at her and Freyr. “They’re friendly, just excited,” she told him quickly, not wanting him to worry or react poorly or anything. She needed to spend more time on their training, it seemed. They still hadn’t quite grasped the concept of staying at home when she told them to.
Back to top Go down

Freyr Rigasson
Freyr Rigasson
Herra

RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

PostSubject: Re: › jack of all trades › jack of all trades EmptyThu Nov 16, 2017 3:55 pm

Of course he felt kinda bad for rejecting her offer. Gunnvor would better not find out. She would have wanted him to do it anyways, although he would be humiliated instantly. She would say it would be a good lesson for him anyways. And she would probably be right. But he didn’t feel ready, so he was already nervous. Nerves could really mess with his head. Something he would have to learn to overcome. In real battle, no one would give him a break because he was stressed out or something. They would come at him ruthlessly and they would finish him off if they had the chance. He couldn’t hide behind some excuses. All these things bounced through his mind when he told her he didn’t want to train with her, for now. And he already regretted it. He didn’t want her to think he was weak. Luckily she didn’t seem to take it personal though. “Oh, of course. That makes sense. But the offer stands, if you change your mind in the future. Or if you’re ever looking for tips or tricks or anything.” She said, and he smiled warmly. ”Thank you, I’ll keep it in mind”, He replied, and he really meant it as well.

If he got stronger, a bit more skilled, then he would take on her challenge. “It was nice to have a chance to speak to you, anyway,” She then said, after which she turned around to get going. "Likewise", He replied, and turned his focus back to the warriors still in training. When he suddenly heard enthusiastic barking, he looked up surprised. Even more when Yrsa gave him some instruction on the fast approaching pooches. When the puppies reached them, they started dancing around the Shield Maiden and sniffed around a bit. ”These are yours?” He asked, an unnecessary question. Obviously they belonged to her. ”Can I pet them?” He continued, his eyes almost sparkling. Animals would always be his weak spot. He preferred horses over anything, but puppies.. Those were a close second for sure.

Back to top Go down

Yrsa Tyrsdóttir
Yrsa Tyrsdóttir
Shield maiden

RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

PostSubject: Re: › jack of all trades › jack of all trades EmptyTue Nov 21, 2017 6:42 am

Yrsa had to admit she was a little disappointed Freyr didn’t want to spar with her at all. She loved to fight, and she loved to help other fighters improve. But she didn’t want to be pushy about it, even though most of the other vikings and shield maidens would have told her to be. You couldn’t really help someone learn if they weren’t ready, and that was a quick way to anger some people. Yrsa would rather make friends. And she was certain that when Freyr felt more confident in his abilities, he would seek her out.

When the puppies arrived, loudly, Yrsa was torn between laughing at their playful antics and being frustrated at their lack of training. It was embarrassing, to be perfectly honest. But when Freyr asked if they were hers, she nodded at him. “Yes, this one is Aksel, and this one is Aleksia,” she told him, pointing to the boy puppy and then the girl puppy. “Oh, yeah, of course you can! I found them in the streets not too long ago, and took them home with me. But they're very playful now.” She didn’t feel it was necessary to add that they’d been hurt and also underfed. They belonged to her now, and that wouldn’t be a problem for them again.

They’re not very good at doing what they’re told yet,” she admitted with a sigh, since she’d told them quite plainly to stay at home, “but we’re working on it.” She laughed, squatting down to rub Aksel’s belly when he rolled over. “Do you like dogs?” she wondered next. There were always a couple strays wandering near the barns or the edge of the woods, stealing scraps. She was a big pushover when it came to animals and had tried to befriend most of them on more than one occasion. Honestly, she’d never met anyone, other than her mother, who didn’t like dogs and wasn’t at all sure how she’d respond if he said he didn’t. What sort of person didn’t like dogs?

"I have to make these two stay home or they'll follow me everywhere. Including right into the middle of training, and then they just bark and growl at whoever I'm trying to fight." She laughed about it now, because the two skinny puppies yipping at vikings was a rather humorous image. Not one that many other warriors approved of, but still very funny to her. "Maybe they'll follow me into battle one day," she joked, grinning at Freyr, just at the thought of it. Of course, she'd be devastated if anything ever happened to them, and would be unlikely to even allow them to accompany her on a raid to begin with.
Back to top Go down

Freyr Rigasson
Freyr Rigasson
Herra

RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

PostSubject: Re: › jack of all trades › jack of all trades EmptyWed Nov 22, 2017 7:03 pm

The loud barking sure drew a lot of attention. Some people on the training field got distracted for a second, looking back at them to see what the commotion was about. But as soon as the pups reached them, they went more quiet. They were more interested in exploring new things than making a lot of noise. He asked Yrsa if they were hers. “Yes, this one is Aksel, and this one is Aleksia,” She replied, pointing at them respectively. They were very hyperactive, but still he wanted to pet them. Real bad. He made sure she was okay with that though. He didn't like when people touched one of the horses without his permission, especially not when he was sitting on top of them. It could scare them and throw him off. Not that these dogs could do much harm now, but he wasn't looking forward to being bitten either. It was all fine though. She told him she found them in the streets, just wandering around on their own.

While he was petting them, he thought about the story. ”I hope no one comes and claims them as their own later on, when you spent time and energy to train them and after you have fed them properly”, He thought out loud. People usually ditched younger pups because they couldn’t take care of them, but a trained guard dog.. ”Then you just come to me, as I know about the situation, okay?” He then suggested, with a reassuring smile. He could take care of it for sure. He also knew his mother would believe his word over the one of a villager. She also knew Yrsa. He was almost certain she already knew about the pups anyways.

“Do you like dogs?” Yrsa then asked, and he nodded immediately. "Almost as much as I love horses”, He chuckled. If she knew a thing or two about him, she would probably know his tiny obsession with the mighty beasts. He had been that way ever since he was a little boy, and he hadn’t outgrown it yet. He would probably never. "I have to make these two stay home or they'll follow me everywhere. Including right into the middle of training, and then they just bark and growl at whoever I'm trying to fight." She said, and he laughed when he imagined those two little puppers annoying the hell out of those gigantic tree-like warriors. "They sure are very protective over you", He laughed, picking up Aleksia and putting her on his lap.

"Maybe they'll follow me into battle one day," She then said, and he could already see it in his mind. ”You should ask the smith to make them little helmets and armour”, He suggested with a smile. He laced some of the fur through his fingers, and the pup seemed to enjoy it. ”I would take a horse into battle if they weren’t such an easy target. They’re big and I thought about how they could run over at least a couple of enemy warriors, but once their legs are hurt..”, He said, not finishing his sentence as he could barely bear the thought of one of them getting killed in battle.

Back to top Go down

Yrsa Tyrsdóttir
Yrsa Tyrsdóttir
Shield maiden

RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

PostSubject: Re: › jack of all trades › jack of all trades EmptySat Nov 25, 2017 5:08 am

She was smiling happily at the pair of pups as they attempted to make a new friend out of Freyr, when he mentioned hoping no one came to claim them later. Yrsa honestly hadn’t even considered such a possibility. She usually saw the best in everything and everyone. The thought that someone would even try it put her in a fighting mood. But when Freyr continued, telling her to go to him if anything like that happened, she immediately relaxed, and smiled at him over the puppies’s heads. “Thank you! That’s very kind of you. I’ll be sure to do that, if it ever happens.” She paused for a moment before adding, “Do you really think it’s likely?” She wasn’t about to let anyone take them from her, and was glad she’d decided to come over and chat with him.

Luckily they turned the conversation to something a bit more pleasant: Animals. Freyr mentioned he liked horses more than dogs and Yrsa nodded, understanding. She liked all animals, but she was certainly partial to dogs and horses. As she thought about it, she realized she’d seen him down at the stables on some of the occasions she’d wandered down there herself. “I like horses too. I visit the stables to say hello on occasion. I’m surprised Kettil hasn’t chased me away yet,” she told him with a grin.

They are, aren’t they?” she replied with another grin, watching at the puppies’ antics. She was glad they were already protective of her, but wouldn’t mind if they were just a little less protective. She had things to do sometimes where unruly puppies couldn’t follow.

Freyr had picked up Aleksia and the puppy seemed quite pleased with this new development. Laughing out loud at his armour and helmet comment, Yrsa nodded in agreement. “We’ll probably have to wait a little while for that, but they’d be the fiercest fighters in the battle,” she remarked, scratching Aksel behind his ear.

As the young man spoke about horses in battle, Yrsa couldn’t help but nod in agreement. She too hated the idea of using any animals for fighting. They were innocent, and didn’t deserve to be mutilated or killed just to give someone a bit of an advantage in battle. Unfortunately, she knew most people wouldn’t think twice about it, which made it a common occurrence, and it broke her heart. “I’d rather fight face to face, with my feet on the ground,” she told him. “No need to drag any animals into it.” This was probably naive of her, but to Yrsa, she was choosing to fight. If she wasn’t good enough to win, that was her problem. No need to risk killing a horse to even the odds.
Back to top Go down

Freyr Rigasson
Freyr Rigasson
Herra

RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

PostSubject: Re: › jack of all trades › jack of all trades EmptySat Dec 09, 2017 5:40 pm

As the son of the Earl he had attended countless public hearings. It happened more often than he could have imagined people stole each other’s animals. Mostly farm animals, because they could sell those for a lot of money. It wasn’t easy though, it wasn’t hard to track down an animal, and most had learned to mark their livestock. But it still happened, and then Rigas had to decide what punishment the thief would get. A popular method was cutting off a finger. If someone dared to harm these innocent puppies, he would probably do something worse to them. “Thank you! That’s very kind of you. I’ll be sure to do that, if it ever happens.” She replied to his proposal. “Do you really think it’s likely?” She then asked. He nodded lightly. ”I’m not saying I’m sure it will happen, but I would pay attention when they grow older, to be honest”, He just advised her. Better safe than sorry.

At least stealing a horse would be harder. They weren’t that easily picked up or put in a bag. He would probably get really worried if one of their horses got stolen. He liked them maybe just a little too much. Some vikigns loved their boats, he loved his horses. “I like horses too. I visit the stables to say hello on occasion. I’m surprised Kettil hasn’t chased me away yet,” She said, and he chuckled. ”Kettil can be very scary, if he gets a hold of a pitchfork”, He joked. He was sure the pups would protect her from scary Kettil though. If they were to follow her into battle, they’d better have some kind of armour. Little puppy helmets. “We’ll probably have to wait a little while for that, but they’d be the fiercest fighters in the battle,” She said, and he nodded in agreement. ”I pity the guy that has to fight you on your own, let alone with these two by your side”, He replied. He knew he wouldn’t want to be on her bad side, that was for sure.

Freyr himself had sometimes imagined riding a horse into battle. But then he felt sorry for the animal. If it wasn’t trained properly, or it got scared and confused, it could get killed. He didn’t want his horses to die because he thought it would be impressive to fight from horseback. He would rather be in the shield wall, and leave the innocent animals out of it. “I’d rather fight face to face, with my feet on the ground,” She said. “No need to drag any animals into it.” And he nodded. ”I agree”, He replied with a little smile. ”They could be useful when chasing enemies though, but I wouldn’t drop them in the middle of a battlefield”, He continued. Being surrounded was not a good idea anyways, not for horses, but not for humans either.

Back to top Go down

Yrsa Tyrsdóttir
Yrsa Tyrsdóttir
Shield maiden

RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

PostSubject: Re: › jack of all trades › jack of all trades EmptySat Dec 16, 2017 8:56 pm

This conversation had turned far more serious than she’d intended, but Freyr was clearly an intelligent young man, and Yrsa was once again glad she’d decided to approach him. She could easily imagine herself getting into all kinds of trouble if anyone came after her puppies, and knowing he knew the situation was certainly comforting. She nodded at his advice, to keep an eye on them as they got bigger, and knew he had a point. A pair of well trained hunting dogs would be nice to come by. Granted, she needed them to become well trained before that could happen, but still, the advice was sound, and she appreciated it.

Yrsa laughed at the image of Kettil chasing someone off with a pitchfork. “Sounds like quite a scary sight, indeed,” she replied with a grin, having a hard time picturing the farmer as anything other than quiet and polite.

When he said he’d pity the man who had to fight her, Yrsa felt herself blush and knew that wasn’t exactly shield maiden-like behavior. She knew she was a good fighter, she’d been fighting almost her whole life. But having someone tell her right to her face was a fairly rare occurrence. She straightened her shoulders a bit and smiled. “Thank you. Yeah, I’ll feel much safer with these two guarding my back.” As she said this, she nudged Aleksia with her booted foot, and the little pup flopped over on her back, waving her paws in the air, begging for belly scratches. “She’s a born killer.” Obviously she bent down to scratch her belly. What kind of monster wouldn’t?

Yrsa was happy to hear that Freyr agreed with her, about horses in battle. She understood the advantage horses could give you, and the benefits of fighting on horseback, but she was such an utter bleeding heart when it came to animals, the whole idea of it made her stomach clench. “That’s true. They’re certainly advantageous when used correctly. It just makes me sad,” she admitted with a small smile and a shrug of her shoulders. She was a fairly simple person. Don’t hurt animals and don’t be a bully, and she’d be your best friend for life.

Looking around at the others who were training, Yrsa knew she should probably get back to it, and let him carry on with his day. “I’ll get these mutts away from you for now,” she told him with a grin. “But if you ever change your mind, come find me.” She pointed towards the training field, knowing he’d know what she meant.
Back to top Go down

Freyr Rigasson
Freyr Rigasson
Herra

RPG SHEET
Viking profile
Title :

PostSubject: Re: › jack of all trades › jack of all trades EmptyThu Dec 28, 2017 3:22 pm

There was no doubt that Kettil could be a fierce warrior as well, if he would have proper training. Freyr hadn’t seen him really angry yet, but he could imagine him chasing off intruders with his pitchfork. It was a funny thought, but he wouldn’t want to be on the other side of it. If it came to the horses, he could be as protective as Yrsa was about her pups. They both had a big heart for animals, something he admired. He had seen a lot of villagers being cruel to their animals, cats and dogs and cattle alike. He never liked it when he saw that, but he was not in a position to change anything about it. Besides, he didn’t know how popular he would make himself if he punished someone for being cruel to animals. In their society, they were lower than humans and no one really cared. Only a few, like Yrsa and Kettil, understood that they could be seen as equals.

When he commented about her fighting skills, he noticed a small blush on her cheeks. She had to be a very humble person. “Thank you. Yeah, I’ll feel much safer with these two guarding my back.” She replied to his compliment. In that moment, Aleksia rolled over on the ground and waved her paws around. Yrsa knelt down to scratch her tummy, much to her pupproval. ”For now I think they’d let your attackers trip over them”, He chuckled. Later on, when they were big, they would be of more use. Although he still wouldn’t take them to a battlefield. “That’s true. They’re certainly advantageous when used correctly. It just makes me sad,” She agreed, and he nodded. They could also guard the camp or help out on a hunt. If they could handle a trip by boat, that was.

“I’ll get these mutts away from you for now. But if you ever change your mind, come find me.” Yrsa said with a grin. He smiled back. ”I will certainly do that”, He replied. The warrior then walked away, followed by her two companions. He also stood up, grabbed the axe to put it back and eventually made his way towards the Town Hall. Maybe his mother needed help with something, so he might as well go check that out.

Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

PROFIEL
RPG SHEET

PostSubject: Re: › jack of all trades › jack of all trades Empty

Back to top Go down
› jack of all trades
View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ragnarok :: Scandinavia :: Skagerrak :: Inside the village :: Streets-